Casa Velha do Palheiro is concerned about the impact of its activity on the environment and local community.
We recognise our responsibility to operate in a manner that makes a positive contribution to the natural, social and cultural environment.
We also recognise and accept our responsibility to operate in ways that reduce environmental impacts, benefit our local communities and ensure the protection of our destination for future generations.
Recognising this responsibility we commit to:
• protect the natural environment through:
1. Preventing pollution to land, air and water.
2. Reducing water and energy use.
3. Minimising waste and increase recycling within the framework of our waste management procedures.
4. Identifying and managing environmental risks and hazards.
• co-operate with local communities and people, ensure they benefit from
the visits of our customers and encourage our customers to respect the local way of life;
• conserve plants and animals, protected areas and landscape;
• respect the integrity of local cultures and their social institutions;
• comply with local, national and international laws and regulations;
• oppose and actively discourage illegal, abusive or exploitative forms of tourism;
• work closely with business partners, local authorities, regional and national governments and other organisations to achieve sustainable development of tourism;
• provide information on our activities to develop and encourage the sustainable development and management of tourism;
• communicate our progress in implementing this commitment.
• Provide suitable training to enable employees to deal with their specific areas of environmental control.
We also acknowledge that we cannot achieve our goal of sustainable tourism development without the help of all stakeholders, including our staff and guests.